Sunday, May 29, 2011

Watercolors

 Last night I dug out my watercolors for the first time in months. I love to paint in the summer- there's such great light! I realized when Mom and I were setting up for the show last weekend that the paintings were looking a little picked over. I didn't have many cottage paintings left, so I'm going to try to work on more over the next few weeks.

 I've only worked on this one so far. It still needs a lot of work. The frame is only laid on top as encouragement, and to check that the darkest colors are dark enough to show up.
While I had the camera out, I snapped a shot of this painting as well. I painted it for Mom a few months ago, but don't think I ever posted photos of it here. We both love Jane Austen, and while Persuasion is my favorite of her novels, we watch the 1995 addaptation of Pride and Prejudice quite often.



You can see that the paint bled horribly around the edges, which is why the painting is still unframed. I usually tape the edges of my watercolors to keep them neat. My favorite tape is extra-narrow masking tape from the model train shop which gives a nice clean line, but it's a bit difficult to find. I used a different brand of masking tape on this painting, thinking it would be the same, but as you can see it was terrible!

2 comments:

  1. You can use masking fluid (frisket) or rubber cement to mask the edges or anything which needs to remain white in your painting. It rubs off after you have finished the painting. Works really well!
    I like Mr. Darcy. Just make some matting around it before you frame him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter and I love Jane Austen, too, and I was happy to see your painting of Darcy!

    ReplyDelete