Saturday, July 30, 2011

My Workspace

This cupboard started off as a slightly clunky but well made commercial piece. I tore off the thick upper doors, added trim to the shelves, and painted the cupboard. The decorative  painting is mostly done with dots and dashes. It's a good piece to put in a shadowy corner: from a distance, the cupboard looks much nicer than it actually is. I'm still working on filling up the shelves, and then I'll give the whole thing a last bit of aging.

I also reorganized my workspace. I haven't really posted about this space, because it's usually a complete mess, but it's been staying slightly neater lately. My workspace is a little alcove in the dining room. It has a lot of windows, but gets the most light in late afternoon.  The small drawers on this table hold tools and miscellaneous supplies. The two gold room boxes protect finished projects until I find a spot for them (the large box is actually the Gallery I posted about a while ago.)All my miniature magazines are sorted into wooden holders underneath the table. The white shelf on the left holds spray paint and various solvents.
Behind my chair are larger drawers holding larger supplies like paint, leather, fabric, and landscaping foam.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Back from the Guild School

Actually, I've been home for nearly two weeks, but I've had a lot of bad news lately and I haven't felt much like blogging. Things have been looking up in the last few days, so I'm going to try to start updating fairly regularly again.
I loved making this tiny 1/144th scale garden cottage in Nell Corkin's class. Nell brought the cottage walls already cut (we had to cut the windows!) and the weather vane already assembled. Everything else was made in the class.
 Constructing the trellis was fun, but I didn't like adding the climbing roses nearly as much!

 I may add some taller laser-cut flowers along this side now that I'm home.
 There was even time to make furnishings! The chairs were difficult- the first time I tried to put them together, I glued them all wrong, and then I painted them with a half-dozen coats of the wrong color by accident. But in the end, it all worked out.
 It was so fun to see all the finished projects at the end!