Thursday, May 9, 2013

Antique Enameled Button Sets, Part 2

Yesterday afternoon I made yet another little case of "enamel" buttons, and was able to fix most of the problems that I struggled with while making the first two cases.
 It was much easier than I expected to give the top of the case a "lip." The case was so small that a second thickness of velvet paper around the edge was all that was needed. I also used coffee again to stain the white velvet paper a soft cream. I also made more realistic "keepers" by bending a bit of silver wire around a pin. They are much more realistic now, and are even removable. On the right you can see one of the full scale (but still tiny!) enamel buttons that got me interested in these sets.
For the first two cases I made, the case hinge was just a piece of leather. For this last case, I added a strip of gold thread to the back. Though I thought this case was going to be my last attempt, I may have one more trick up my sleeve. After finishing the case, I started thinking that the buttons should be removable like the keepers. It won't make a difference to the finished appearance of the case, but I'm enjoying the challenge of this project, and want to take it as far as I can.

P.S. Sorry for the blurry photos! There was only about three seconds of sunlight left when I took this photo, and I was in such a hurry I didn't check my camera!

9 comments:

  1. impresiona lo pequeños que son !!
    estan preciosos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eliza,
    Your work just gets better every post. The buttons are beautifula nd the box is perfect.
    Excellent work.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm blown away by how small the box and buttons are! My eyes go cross-eyed just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eliza, both the buttons and the case are absolutely beautiful, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The box with bottons are wonderful and I like where you put it.
    Bye, Faby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prachtig...Heel mooi en bijzonder.

    Groeten Xandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful little treasures you are making!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your button cases with the buttons are Fabulous! The cases are wonderful and the buttons are Unbelievable!! I think that you have done a beautiful job of finishing the box both inside and out, too. Thank you for the opportunity to see this darling project.

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job, Eliza, it looks great! and the pictures are very good - mine always come out blurred, I think it's the camera ;-)
    x

    ReplyDelete